#1 2020-01-05 17:07

ReiM

ReNamer includes new format "HEIC"?

In the last months I used the EXIF-Date to renamed my private pictures with "ReNamer". Now I notice the format HEIC in my lists of pictures.
- Are there any plans to include this format, too?
- Are there a workaround for my problem?
Thanks for information or support.

#2 2020-01-06 12:33

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer includes new format "HEIC"?

There is no built-in support for HEIC / HEIF image file format yet, but you can use a 3rd party tool such as ExifTool in combination with ReNamer to extract meta tags and then use them for renaming files.

See the example script:
https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Scripts:ExifTool

#3 2020-01-06 23:20

ReiM

Thanks for your reply. I will try it in the next days and will come back with my experience.

#4 2020-01-08 06:29

Andrew-HOD

Please build-in support for HEIC/HEIF image file format.  The main use I have for this program is renaming poorly named images.  The iPhone and even now Canon (CES, EOS-1D X Mark III SLR) will be supporting this format.  Exiftool is so SLOW and difficult to work with.

#5 2022-02-04 23:38

AndrewRH

den4b wrote:

There is no built-in support for HEIC / HEIF image file format yet, but you can use a 3rd party tool such as ExifTool in combination with ReNamer to extract meta tags and then use them for renaming files.

See the example script:
https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Scripts:ExifTool

The script works for me - thanks! However it is very slow to process a directory full of files.
Is there a plan to have HEIC/HEIF image info supported in Renamer Pro? If so, then when might a first version be available?
Thank you.

#6 2022-02-21 18:07

den4b
Administrator

AndrewRH wrote:

Is there a plan to have HEIC/HEIF image info supported in Renamer Pro? If so, then when might a first version be available?

There is no plan for a direct support for HEIC/HEIF images in ReNamer. Unless someone can find or donate a Pascal compatible source/library that offers such support.

However, there is a long term plan to make the use of 3rd party tools/libraries much easier, either via a dedicated renaming rule or via a plug-in based meta tags framework.

#7 2024-06-25 23:07

RickyJack

den4b wrote:
AndrewRH wrote:

There is no plan for a direct support for HEIC/HEIF images in ReNamer. Unless someone can find or donate a Pascal compatible source/library that offers such support.

However, there is a long term plan to make the use of 3rd party tools/libraries much easier, either via a dedicated renaming rule or via a plug-in based meta tags framework.

OK so I have purchased V7.5, copied ExifTool to the ReNamer folder and loaded the script. It works but is very slow plus it's a pain to change which EXIF property to use. ReNamer needs to support EXIF from HEIC directly, just like it does for jpg's. My main use case for ReNamer is for photos from my iPhone. It's been a couple years since ReNamer has been made aware of this. It is not a free product so it needs to support modern file formats.

Board footer